Re: Topband: VE1ZZ Jack Leahy

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VE1ZZ Jack Leahy
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 15:27:10 -0400
Hi Paul - I know this is a TopBand reflector, so I'll keep this comment
short.

Jack was being modest.  He was among the very first of us VE's to get 6m
DXCC as well.

I think maybe #2 or #3..I can never seem to recall the exact order after
VE1YX...

Mike VE9AA.FN66na

Hi Jeff,

I'm a 50 MHz aficionado and recently decided to try 160 meters.

A while back, there was a writeup about Jack in one of the

magazines. The article included some photos of Jack's station,

one of which was of his giant 6-meter quagi - the one he used

to work Turkey on that band. I liked the way Jack hooked things

up!  I was impressed and I called him up on the landline. I

wanted to find out more about him and what he did to be as

successful as he was. We had a long enjoyable conversation.

I hoped someday to be able to travel all the way to Nova Scotia

to see Jack's station. Maybe I still will be able to do that.

Jack called and worked me on 160 in January of 2013 - and I

got his QSL card. In addition to the usual QSO data, Jack also

hand wrote:

160m WAZ - 40

160m DXCC+ 333

#1 in Canada #2 in World

What an accomplishment!

Old age is unfriendly to us all, but I hope Jack hangs in there for a lot

longer.

73,

Paul, K7CW / VE7IB

Mike, Coreen & Corey