Re: Topband: what does it take to get on new band 600 meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: what does it take to get on new band 600 meters
From: Eric NO3M <no3m@no3m.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 23:20:37 -0500
Quite a loaded question... for every 10 guys on the band, there will be 20 ways they went about getting on (including some things going up in smoke and fire).

Power requirements depend on your antenna's efficiency... for an explanation of EIRP, see here:

http://www.472khz.org/pages/technical-topics/eirp.php

Using the formula method, you'll need to model your antenna to figure out it's radiation resistance.  Unless you know your local ground characteristics to get an accurate model, assume a vertical has 4.77 dBi gain, which is a gain factor of 3, in the calculations.

As for an antenna, most put up a vertical (inv-L, Tee, etc.) with some form of top-loading and coil to resonate it.  Lots of ground wire helps mitigate ground losses.  Lots of top-loading helps reduce the required inductance to resonate it and reduces coil losses. Construct and mount coils for high-Q and minimal stray coupling. But if you understand EIRP, it's not necessary to go crazy with height, top-loading, radials, etc., since you can just increase transmitter power.  It all depends on 1) how much power you can generate, 2) how much you are willing to waste, 3) are prepared for obscene RF voltage at the base if using a lot of power into a very short vertical (this means a good insulator, NOT cheap PVC!).  Guys in backyard lots can be just as loud as someone with a 200ft (max height) top loaded vertical... again, it all comes back to EIRP.

Transceiver can be just about anything if you use a transverter, otherwise, something like the TS590, K3S, etc. can natively operate down there.  SS amp.... tube amp.... etc, etc, etc.  Of course, you can also homebrew something from start to finish.  Some guys are using lashed together setups with signal generators, etc.  There are also vintage Navy and other rigs that can go down there... old 500kc type stuff.

Don't forget an RX antenna... sure you can get away with using the TX antenna, but you'll be missing out on a lot of stuff.  Loops, EWE, beverages, BOGs, vertical arrays, etc....

I've been QRV on 630M since 2012 under both the ARRL's group Part 5 grant (WD2XHS/46) and my own grant (WG2XJM).  I've used a number of different configurations over the years, but currently have a 67ft. vertical w/ 8 top-loading wires over 22,000 ft radials.  K3 to a transverter with dual RX channels for diversity and a 100W SS amp. I did modify a SB-1000 for 630M, but no longer need it.  For RX I use my 160M broadside beverage arrays and a dedicated full-sized 630M 8-circle BSEF array (1150ft diameter).  Some links:

http://no3m.net/antennas/630m-antennas/
http://no3m.net/antennas/630m-8-circle/
http://no3m.net/shack/630m-station/

I have also homebrewed a bunch of antique style gear for down there, including a 1930s rack transmitter which I use almost every night:

http://no3m.net/2017/10/1930s-rack-transmitter/

For general info, technical articles, and daily activity updates, see:

http://www.472khz.org/
http://500kc.com/
http://njdtechnologies.net/category/630-meters/

GL CU 630M