Re: Topband: Rotator creating spur on 1820- results

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rotator creating spur on 1820- results
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 21:23:36 -0600
Thanks George

"AM 890 x 2 = 1780 KHz + 1730 KHz = 3510 <- - your 80 meter birdie."

Yep, that works, except I had a typo when saying one of the contributor to the 160 problem was 1730. No station on 1730. Copied the wrong number off my notes. Sorry. I should have said 1310.

My 80 meter problem is also due to that 1310 station, (1310 + 890) + 1310 = 3510. Both very strong local stations.

The really tough question is where is that mixer. Can't do much about the stations. Only hope is to find the mixer. There are lots of possibilities. Might be close, or maybe not. That 1820 problem was generated on my tower and radiated to my receiving antennas located 550 ft from the tower. Very glad to get rid of that one.

Guess I will have to see if I can track the 80 meter problem by using a portable 3510 receiver. I can locate the general direction using my receiving antennas and it's not in the direction of either of those two stations. Funny thing is the 3510 birdie is minimum when the antenna is pointed at the 890 tower and I know that is one of the contributors. When pointed at that station. my receiving antenna has a null at 96 degrees to that station and that is the direction to the mixer. That direction passes very close to my tower so I was expecting to maybe see some change in the 80 meter problem when I put that strap on the rotator, but it didn't happen.

Jerry, K4SAV