Re: Topband: 160m Vertical matching Help

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Vertical matching Help
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 14:21:05 -0400

Start by disconnecting the feedline.  Connect a jumper to the junction
of the vertical wire and the coil.  Now use a grid dip meter and tap
down the coil until the antenna is resonant (dip occurs) at the desired
frequency.  Now connect the feed line (shield to ground) and tap up the
coil until you find the lowest possible SWR.

If you are not satisfied with the SWR, move the top jumper 1/2 turn one
way or the other and then move the feedline tap for the lowest possible
SWR.  If the lowest SWR is higher than it was before moving the jumper,
move the jumper 1 turn the other way and again adjust the feed line tap
point.  Keep moving the "tuning" jumper 1/2 turn at a time and adjusting
the feed line tap until you are happy.

Remember, the feedline tap does not 'Tune' the antenna - that is done by
adjusting the total amount of the 'tuning' coil.  The feedline tap only
adjusts the impedance (R) seen by the feedline.

The single coil can be viewed as a two coil "L" network.  The coil from
the tap point to the vertical wire tunes the antenna to resonance (X=0)
whilst the coil from the tap point to ground (across the feed line) is
responsible for adjusting the impedance (matching to the feed line).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV