Topband: future of ham radio: planting seeds for new recruits

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: future of ham radio: planting seeds for new recruits
From: David Cutter via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:20:46 +0100
Having just done another weekend of Jamboree On The Air, I'd like to suggest that presenting several modes at an event such as this is the way to go. None of the scouts had any history of amateur radio and didn't know what to expect, but they saw the wires we strung up and they had first hand experience of talking to folks via a REAL radio.

I accept that for many years, now, the general population has had near-perfect sound and vision pumped into their homes and have no idea what radio communication is about or tuning into a station: it's all push-button.

We showed them crystal set building, Morse Code, phonetics, HF, VHF, sdr waterfalls and digital. This was what you might call an intensive introduction course and they went away buzzing. I don't think it's enough to show just one mode, least of all just one box talking to another. Each "course" has 5 half-hour slots and they were moved around the whole circuit with a big bell. We did 2 sessions on Saturday and 2 on Sunday; all together catering for about 70 youngsters and there were quite a few who were as bright as a button and I hope will return.

We will follow up at troop level to see who wants to do more. Next February we will do TDOTA with the same formula for the Guides. We do this every 2 or 3 years and it's always a success. Time will tell if it actually gets them into amateur radio, I am just planting seeds.

We are putting an article together for the local newspaper and if anyone wants a copy, send me an email. We'll also put it up on our website.

I believe that youngsters are the future of ham radio but you've got catch 'em.

73

David
G3UNA
Ripon And District Amateur Radio Society