Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?

To: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?
From: Andreas Junge <andreas@n6nu.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 11:04:40 -0700
> With some of the new popular digi protocols most of what is written on the
> screen, some call it "received", has never been received as a complete
> message. It is reproduced from other sources than the radio path.

>  "without entering already known information (calls) to the software I
> wouldn't have been even close to where I am now.."

Both are true when you use a DXCLUSTER. Any spotting network will give you the
whole call already. No need to decode it yourself, received over the internet,
a non radio path. Even better, it’s spotted by a RBN Bot without human
intervention.

I don’t think we need to go down that rabbit whole.

I am with Bob, AA6VB - we are not forced to use the new modes. On the other
hand, these new modes enable a whole new layer of operators. A new target rich
environment for more opportunities to work new DX. The RF still has to go from
A to B to be decoded.

73, Andreas, N6NU