Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?
From: <JAYB1943@OPTONLINE.NET>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 09:38:46 -0400
I guess I don’t understand what makes the new Digital modes any different
from old RTTY...the “sounds” are similar enuf to learn to love and the words
are still displayed on (in the old days) paper or a screen.
There are many audibly-compromised hams out there – such as me – who really
welcome a mode that doesn’t require sharp hearing to work CW or especially
SSB.
In addition, I have recruited several new (young) hams by attracting them
with the computer-based modes...all but eliminates “mike-fright” and
“key-freezing”.
I guess a lot of old-timers (I am 75) feel that the awards like DXCC and
WAS, etc. earned with FT8 have less merit than they did with good-old CW or
Phone or RTTY.  But few people objected when CW filters were invented or SSB
replaced AM or smaller, lighter, more efficient radios replaced the old tube
stuff...so is a CW DXCC earned in 1948 somehow worth more than one earned in
2000 using these major tech improvements ?
There will always be a place for CW and voice modes in ham radio for those
that want to practice those..and remember one of the major facets of ham
radio is to “advance the state of the radio art” which surely describes the
new digital modes.
Room for everybody out there, guys....73 Jay NY2NY