Re: Topband: Ladder line Beverage Installation

To: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ladder line Beverage Installation
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 06:46:15 -0600
I'm afraid I've had bad experience with the DXE ladder line
insulators. I used them on my 760 ft beverages, screwed to the top of
4x4 wood posts, spaced 60 ft apart. With the wind, they eventually
snapped and broke. I ended up abandoning the ladder line and replacing
it with parallel lines of WD1a military twisted pair telephone wire,
routing two parallel lengths of the twisted pairs through ceramic
insulators screwed into the posts. That was three years ago, and
they've held up perfectly. I think the DXE insulators are fine for
short runs of ladder line, but I can't recommend them for beverages in
windy areas.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 6:35 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm
> <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> DXE sells some nifty ladder insulators designed for wooden posts.  They are
> listed at $13.95 for a bag of 25. (DXE P/N DXE-LL-LNS) In my case I wanted to
> use metal fence supports with wood on the top for an easier installation with
> a 3 lb maul rather than digging holes for the post supports. While pushing my
> cart through Home Depot one day I stumbling upon paint stir sticks in the
> paint section for .99 cents for a package of three.  They are made of pine
> and are 33 inches long and appear very durable being almost 1/4 inch thick.
> They can flex a bit but hard to break even over your knee.  Much to my
> surprise the DXE Beverage insulator snaps right on to the top portion where
> the paint mixer would normally put his hand.  Although not really necessary a
> small wood screw would prevent any insulator from unsnapping in high winds. A
> coat of Thompson's Water Seal on the paint stick is also an option.  Mounting
> these insulators in this fashion would bring the ladder line in a vertic
 al position with respect to ground.  With a half twist ever 70 feet I think
this would enhance the performance and not degrade it in anyway.  If I am wrong
with that the Beverage gurus might possibly correct me.