Re: Topband: Common Mode RF Currents Disrupting JT Transmissions

To: "Paul Kiesel" <k7cw@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Common Mode RF Currents Disrupting JT Transmissions
From: "Goldtr8 \(KD8NNU\)" <goldtr8@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 20:01:41 -0500
Read the information in the links from Jim Brown. Once you understand what he is explaining, it becomes easier to fix.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf

~73
Don
KD8NNU
2014 3905CC Top Gun :-)
-----Original Message----- From: Paul Kiesel via Topband
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 2:40 PM
To: topband@contesting.com

Hello -

I'm not able to run more than 150 watts when using JT65 on 160. RF gets into the computer and disrupts the JT signal. I don't have this problem on 6m where I run QRO using JT65 on EME. I installed ferrite beads on all radio and computer leads, with multiple beads on coax cables. My antenna is an inverted-L hanging from a big douglas fir, and it's about 150 feet from the shack. The feed coax is RG-218 (same as RG-17), so there was no opportunity to coil it into a choke at both ends. Should I be more aggressive with the ferrites?

Respond directly, please. Thanks.

73, Paul K7CW