Topband: Common Mode RF Currents Disrupting JT Transmissions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Common Mode RF Currents Disrupting JT Transmissions
From: Paul Kiesel via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 19:40:59 +0000 (UTC)
Hello -

I'm not able to run more than 150 watts when using JT65 on 160. RF gets into
the computer and disrupts the JT signal. I don't have this problem on 6m where
I run QRO using JT65 on EME. I installed ferrite beads on all radio and
computer leads, with multiple beads on coax cables. My antenna is an inverted-L
hanging from a big douglas fir, and it's about 150 feet from the shack. The
feed coax is RG-218 (same as RG-17), so there was no opportunity to coil it
into a choke at both ends. Should I be more aggressive with the ferrites?

Respond directly, please. Thanks.

73, Paul K7CW