Re: Topband: RX ant-Frozen ground

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX ant-Frozen ground
From: Roger Parsons via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 21:30:23 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Steve

I am fairly confident that Sudbury counts as a cold place...

I have found Beverages to be very insensitive indeed to their locale and
operating conditions. (I have a total of 15, mostly phased.) I now use 4 x 50'
radials at each end, but have previously used 3 x 25'. I do not believe there
is any difference, but of course I can't directly compare one condition with
the other in real time. I do not generally use ground rods because there is
rock a few inches down in most places - where I do the ground rod is buried
horizontally.

The ground freezes here to at least 4' down, but the performance does not seem
to vary from now (when it's hardly frozen) to February (when it's very frozen).
Some parts of some Beverages have been completely covered in snow at times and
keep on a-truckin.

I have been much less succesful with vertical arrays, but that lack of success
has not been weather related - I suspect it is plain old fashioned finger
trouble.

FWIW

73 Roger
VE3ZI