Topband: New digital mode?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: New digital mode?
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 15:06:52 -0500
I asked this question on QRZ and never got a good answer. I am sure many on this reflector know the answer to this question.

What is the stuff on 1838 kHz that sounds like a continuous carrier with no modulation. Looking at it on the band scope I can see some modulation (I think) but it is very small and it is not discernible by ear. The signal has a regular transmission length (maybe 1 minute, I didn't time it). I know what PSK31 and JT65 sounds like but that is not what I am hearing. There is some JT65 on that frequency occasionally and I recognize that but what is the signal that sounds like a continuous carrier? There is also something on that frequency that sounds like a continuous carrier modulated with 60 Hz and I don't know what that is either. Nothing I have will decode any of this.

The most common answer I got was, it is WSPR. I used WSJTX on WSPR-2 mode and it would not decode it. Tried both sidebands. Also tried all the other modes in WSJTX. WSJTX decodes the JT65 close to that frequency OK. Rig clock is synced to the correct time using Dimension 4.

Jerry, K4SAV