Re: Topband: DXE NCC-1 phasing box

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DXE NCC-1 phasing box
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 12:29:45 -0400
Martin, its all about reputation and DX-Engineering has the best. Back in the 80's some periodicals were marketing the MaxCom baluns which claimed that they would yield a 1.5 to 1 SWR from 1.8 to 30 Mhz but refused to provide the details in schematic form. Many hams bought into this scam and QST refused to run their ads. What HQ did was take an X-ray of the unit and found inside some toaster heater wires sealed with epoxy resin. All it turn out to be was a dummy load with wires attached to the balun. Anyone with knowledge would have known that the MaxCom balun was junk even though the SWR response was, as they advertised, relatively flat across the spectrum. So your point is well taken except that the reputation of DX-Engineering should remove all doubt that you are buying a good product from them.

Herb, KV4FZ