Re: Topband: 160 meter starter antennas

To: Steve Jones <sjones@netbelay.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter starter antennas
From: Kenneth Grimm <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 17:00:09 -0400
160 is a great band.  My first contact was in Texas with 40 watts of AM on
a Viking Ranger in 1957 with a station in Kansas.  I thought that was great
DX.  Many years later, with over 200 countries worked, I am happy that I am
here on the East Coast in Virginia when the DX comes rolling in from Europe
and I am among the first to hear them.  But then, of course, I wished I
were back in Texas this morning when I couldn't even  hear a peep out of
V63KS and folks in the Lone Star State were bragging about how strong he
was.  Like I said 160 is a great band.  There's great DX on it for
everyone...if you dig deep enough into the noise...and hold your mouth just
right.

73,

Ken - K4XL

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Steve Jones <sjones@netbelay.com> wrote:

> I wish I could hear that good in texas.
> Steve WS5W
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM, K1FZ-Bruce <k1fz@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>

> > Good Info Dave, Thanks.
> >  In Maine, one contest Weekend, about year 1999-2000  worked 103
> > countries.  Lots of countries in Europe not that far away in the
> Northeast
> > direction. 73
> > Bruce-k1fz
> >

> > On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:49:04 -0500, daraymond@iowatelecom.net wrote:
> >
> >       Success also depends a lot on your location. Working 119 DXCC from
> > 70'
> > inv vee from NY is a whole lot easier than doing it, for instance, out
> here
> > in the Midwest (Iowa). YMMV. . .73. . .Dave, W0FLS

Ken - K4XL
BoatAnchor Manual Archive
BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com

"Show me a politician who is poor, and I'll show you a poor
politician." - Carlos
Hank González
"Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions." - Edward R.
Murrow