Re: Topband: VOA Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VOA Antennas
From: "Lloyd - N9LB" <lloydberg@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 15:50:33 -0500
I am a retired broadcast engineer.  When we'd give tours at the transmitter
site in the evening, I'd hand out fluorescent light tubs to all attendees,
then we'd all walk out near the tower bases ( but definitely NOT touching
anything ).  When we get to within a few feet of the towers, people would
freak out when the fluorescent tubes they were holding magically lit up in
their hands.  Once lighted, you could walk quite a ways away from the tower
before they would extinguish.  There was no sensation of heat or burning.
Of course the light would flicker a bit with modulation.  Looked kind of
like the light-sabers from star wars.

BTW - I see the second comment on the u-tube video says: "hope you had kids
!! -- and insurance has leukemia coverage --".  Experience and time have
shown that this is an unfounded fear for MW and HF.   I've been around both
for close to 50 years and no cancer, and yes I have kids too.   Our local
ham clubs have members who have been making RF since they were kids are now
well past the median life expectancy age.  Obviously they have not been
adversely affected by RF.

I really like RF!

73

Lloyd - N9LB