Re: Topband: K5P in Zone 14

To: "'Lloyd - N9LB'" <lloydberg@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: K5P in Zone 14
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:57:57 -0600
Hi Lloyd:

Normally, I have reversible Beverages deployed but this year I decided to
purchase a shared apex loop (SAL) from Array Solutions. Unfortunately, due
to work, poor wx, and recent illness, I have been unable to deploy it. So
yesterday was a relatively warm day and the light rain had moved east - I
decided to just lay 500 feet of insulated wire (I purchased at Lowe's)
running SW and just jam the end into the Beverage connector outside (an F
connector). Inside at the station, I have an ICE preamp (also preamps in the
K3 which were unnecessary) and that was it. Nothing fancy. It works quite
well on 80M but sometimes the 4-square verticals do better.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear K5P just booming in last night and it was
a one call deal and in the log. Hopefully I'll hear them on 80M and I can
compare better. This morning when I checked (about an hour before SR), he
was still loud and clear on 160M.

To be clear, the BOG is just a throw it on the ground, last minute antenna
for me. I think you could use more length on your antenna.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL