Re: Topband: strange propagation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: strange propagation
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 10:06:34 -0800
On Sat,1/16/2016 9:47 AM, nn4t@comcast.net wrote:
How many of you know hams who routinely run more power than is allowed on Top
Band in the United States?

I know of only one, who admitted to me that he was running 2.5kW.
Leaving aside the illegality of it, do you also view that as unethical?

Absolutely.

Does anyone confront operators who flaunt the rules on power limits or is it
simply a wink and a nod and good for a laugh in the suites at Dayton?

I know that most good operators hold the few that they know about in low regard. I've operated from W6YX and N6RO, and I can say that they are as clean as a whistle -- they turn in good scores with great antenna farms and great operators.

73, Jim K9YC