Re: Topband: Strange propagation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange propagation
From: Mark Connelly via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:59:15 -0500
The strongest AM broadcasters across the Atlantic are often audible 3 or more
hours before sunset local here on Cape Cod.

Saudi Arabia 1521 has been logged at local shore sites between noon and 1 p.m.
EST several times.  Admittedly this involves big power at the transmitter end
but 160m would have the advantages of potentially much less interference,
better receiving antennas, and CW / digital modes for vastly superior
signal-to-noise capability.

So some midday QSO's over 5000+ mile distances should not be discounted in
autumn / winter if the path is mostly salt water, some of the route is dark,
and the stations on each end have decent power and good "ears" (antenna /
receiver / operator combo.).

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
This is very strange as Jeff, VY2ZM during the CQ 160 meter event works
Western Europe at high noon PEI time.

Herb, KV4FZ