Re: Topband: Stew Beef

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Beef
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:24:59 -0500
Especially on 160 meters I don't think the S in RST has a lot of scientific
value since there is no real numerical standard as it relates to true
signal strength.  In my own mind I have come up with a standard in which
the S is directly related to the S meter reading on my radio (so I don't
have to guess on what S value I should assign to a signal), but on 160
meters when my noise floor is typically S 6.2, that only leaves me with the
ability to send a 6, 7, 8, or 9 for the S value (sometimes I will send a
value of 5 for the S value when the the signal is right at my noise
floor).  Others might consider a value of 9 for when a persons signal is 30
dB over S9.  So no matter what a person sends you for the S value, what
does it really mean, not much (regardless if you are in a contest or not on
160 meters).

Contests have a lot of value regarding improvement in technology to handle
nearby strong signals, improve or maintain operator proficiency under
difficult conditions, motivation to improve your stations efficiency
(including the ability to multi-task), justification of spectrum (increase
activity on our bands which often are under utilized), provides an event to
look forward to and often social interaction, etc.

I would have no problem getting rid of RST reports in contests as they
really are meaningless (based on my above comments), but I have come to
find contests (especially on 160 meters) a great way to evaluate and
improve my station and my own skills.  I often go back to the reverse
beacon network after a contest to compare my signal with other nearby
stations to see how well the signal level from my station stacks up.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)