Re: Topband: beverage resistors at Mouser.com

To: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>, "Jorge Diez CX6VM" <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: beverage resistors at Mouser.com
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:13:15 -0500
If you are going to make the order, consider using several in parallel to improve the surge handling capability. I use 6x 2700 ohms here.

73/jeff/ac0c

Be real careful with the resistor choice.

A metal oxide or film resistor handles many times less surge than an OX or OY resistor. OX and OY resistors are 14kV and 20 kV pulse rated respectively without damage, and handle (OX) 40 and (OY) 70 watt-seconds for 100 pulses of 1 second at 50% duty.

A standard metal oxide is not remotely close, and paralleling 10 will not get them close. Even better MOX are only 10 watt-seconds, and not remotely close to the peak pulse voltage (which will not increase when they are parallel).

I've never actually had a single OY resistor used in a termination burn out from lightning, despite some pretty hard hits. MOX are a different story entirely.

Either type works fine so far as reactance goes, unless the application is reactance critical. For a Beverage, reactance of either is not an issue.