Topband: safely sharing an RX antenna

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: safely sharing an RX antenna
From: Bob Kupps via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 06:06:12 +0000 (UTC)
Hi I was thinking about using a 3dB splitter and tuning the band with our
second K3 using our HiZ monoband 8 circle while we were calling CQ in the Stew.
The center of the array is located 105 meters from the xmit vertical, uses 20'
elements, the included preamp and 100m of RG6 transmission line.
Could dangerously high signal levels appear at the unmuted second radio antenna
terminal? What about if the second radio is inadvertently tuned to the xmit
frequency? It would seem impossible if the external antenna preamps are not
damaged...but I'm still a 1R op so I better ask first!
TU 73 Bob HS0ZIA