Re: Topband: 2 wl loop, worth the effort?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wl loop, worth the effort?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 11:28:24 -0800
On Wed,12/2/2015 11:02 AM, Don Kirk wrote:
Therefore while I don't disagree that a vertical on 160 meters is a great
antenna especially for DX work, for working stations in close it sometimes
can be a disadvantage.  Based on modeling it looks like a dipole only 15
feet off the ground on 160 meters would perform much better than my
vertical for signals arriving at very high angles (as an example).

You are misinterpreting the model data by looking at the shape of the pattern rather than the relative strength of the pattern at angles of interest. Example -- the so-called "take off angle" simply shows the vertical angle where the signal is the strongest. FAR more important to look at the field strength at various angles as the height is varied. I did exactly that in an extensive modeling study comparing vertical and horizontal antennas of various heights. While I concentrated my work on 80M and 40M, the results are directly applicable to 160M if heights in feet are doubled from the 80M plots.

http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

Bottom line -- for 160M, we mere mortals simply can't get a horizontal antenna too high for local QSOs, and higher is better, at least up to 200 ft.

73, Jim K9YC