Re: Topband: Commond mode choke for Beverage

To: Filipe Lopes <ct1ilt@gmail.com>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Commond mode choke for Beverage
From: Eduardo Araujo via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 18:14:42 +0000 (UTC)
>> With these ferrites I ask the same question, should I put the choke close
>> to the 9:1 Balun or near the switching box and how many turns? some bevs
>> have the feed point at +- 60m away from the switching box.

My two cents......It was interesting during the installation of the last
beverage, we have only #31 core, so we placed it at the receiver side.
Disconnecting the coax at the bev feed point and shorting the coax there, many
AM broadcast stations could be heard and some of them strong, indicating that
even though one choke was at the receiver side the coax was acting like an
antenna. The coax was just lying on the ground and is 40/50 mts long.
When we got more cores and placed one choke at that place close to the short,
repeating the test before and after most broadcast vanished and only one could
be heard very week.'73.... Eddie, LU2DKT