Re: Topband: Bandpass filters for receive antennas

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bandpass filters for receive antennas
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:48:33 -0400
Where can I find a schematic for a good high pass filter that rolls off at
1700 kHz?

I can't even have back to back diodes here on Beverages without amplifiers, because the accumulation of hundreds and hundreds of BCB stations sum to more than two volts peak.

With a 10dB gain amp, I can light 12 volt lamps.

I cure this with a very simple basic 5 pole filter that has 3dB roll off at 1600 kHz. Unless you have something on top of you at upper AM BCB, you don't have to worry about 1700 kHz plus.

You need two inductors and three silver micas, and get a good preamp. Do not put it at the antenna. It just adds to overload issues. My amps are all in the shack, and some of the cables are 3000 foot long mixes of F6, F11, and only a few have significant hardline runs.