Re: Topband: A Bit Off Topic

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A Bit Off Topic
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 14:36:39 -0500
Hi Charlie,

Thank you very much for your advice. I agree, and this reminded me of my
forgotten intention to put MOVs (for now) in the meter pole panel. It's
some distance from the house and the wires run underground to the house
panel.

I added a ground rod at that outdoor pole, and it's time to pour more
magnesium sulfate on it to help reduce the ground resistance. The #6 CU
from it to the ground bus is as short and direct as possible. The rod
apparently didn't do a thing, the lamp sockets still arced and CFLs still
blew on my living room ceiling fan.

I'm not real proud of the photo of my breaker panel on qrz.com. After
regularly losing various electrical devices in this house, it was a matter
of doing that or doing nothing. :-)

Maybe it's a coincidence, but since adding those MOVs, the lights no longer
brighten during a close thunderstorm. Of course, I cannot trust those.

I doubt that any $100 device is worth buying. You get what you pay for.

And I have a real problem with those surge suppressors with fuses in series
with the MOVs. Yeah, let's protect those MOVs, they're more important than
my color laser printer, computers, and ham equipment. :-(

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

Having spent decades of my engineering career working with electric power