Re: Topband: Binocular Cores

To: "Roger Parsons" <ve3zi@yahoo.com>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Binocular Cores
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 11:31:14 -0400
You really need to do a single loop through the core windows and measure the impedance with some sort of analyzer. Even an MFJ259B with a short connection to the jack will work well for this.

If the resistance equals the reactance down somewhere around 2 MHz, it is 73 material.

If R=X someplace much higher, you can be sure it is a different mix. The Q=1 frequency, where R=X or where loss tangent crosses reactance, tells you the material better than anything else you can do.

That is how I quickly sort unknown cores.

73 Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Parsons via Topband" <topband@contesting.com>