Re: Topband: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down to apartment com

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down to apartment complex
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 22:39:39 -0400
Don,

I have referred to VFD-s in an early posting as "RF Weapons of Mass-Destruction". Still, they are useful and I got one in my house.

As the contractor in your description did, I installed a line filter on the input side. I also installed a three wire common mode choke on the three phase output (6 turns on a large #31 core) very close to the output terminals. I also added three 3.3 nF high voltage mica caps on the load side between each phase wire and ground. I used a wide braid strap for grounding. My RX antenna is about 200 feet from the drive but its noise is now well below my noise floor and I can not tell when the drive is running.

Good luck getting rid of the rest of noise.

Unfortunately, for all of us, we will increasingly see more of these drives residential buildings.

GW

On Wed, 13 May 2015 11:41:28 -0700