Re: Topband: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down to apartment com

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down to apartment complex
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 14:14:03 -0400
I've not reported on this issue in a long time, but finally making progress
with interference that's originating from an apartment complex 0.4 miles
away.  Back on Dec 11, 2014 we (myself and the apartment complex
maintenance manager) tracked the problem down to the variable speed drives
that are part of their "kitchen air makeup system".  In this system there
are two drives that operate together, with one being a 3 HP drive for the
kitchen hood exhaust fan, and the other is a 5 HP drive for air makeup.
Here is a link to a video I uploaded onto youtube that captures the
interference when the drives start up (really an interesting video using an
RTL-SDR receiver and upconveter).   http://youtu.be/LIWd2Dd-Fa0

On Jan 30th of this year I made a list of recommendations, with the
understanding that the apartment complex and their suppliers were fully
responsible for any changes made to their system (I assumed no liability
for their actions to mitigate the interference).  After a long period of
time and no action, I called the FCC (March 3rd) and was told I should file
an official online complaint with the FCC which would then initiate action
by the FCC enforcement division.  I passed this info onto the apartment
complex regional maintenance manager, and that is when things started to
move forward.  The out of state firm that designed the "kitchen air makeup
system" hired a local mechanical/electrical firm to work on the problem,
and the local technician has been very proactive.

3 weeks ago input line filters manufactured by the variable speed drive
manufacturer were installed on both drives, and this definitely reduced the
level of interference.  Start up peaks spaced 4 khz apart were originally
15 dB above my noise floor and after installation of the input line filters
they are now 5 dB above my noise floor.  The very broad band white noise
that develops a short time after start up is now very hard to detect
whereas it was previously 4 to 6 dB above my noise floor.

The local technician is now planning on additional changes since the input
line filters have not totally mitigated the problem (but they sure helped),
and will provide an update when I have new information to share.

For more in depth details see my website that's documenting this case
http://sites.google.com/site/broadbandrfi/

73,
Don (wd8dsb)