Re: Topband: 75 ohm coax switch

To: Art Snapper <art@nk8x.net>, 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 75 ohm coax switch
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:36:27 +0000
It's easy to homebrew something using small-signal relays. This has all sorts
of added benefits (remote control, automatic switching, etc.). There have been
lots of discussions on here about the correct contact type you want in those
relays since they don't switch any significant current. Cost is low, and it's
probably the only way to handle more than a few ports with readily available
parts.

You can build these on perfboard and still get pretty good isolation between
ports if you're careful with your internal wiring.

You could also try a telecom patch bay for T3/DS3 signals. Those run over 75
ohm cabling too. You'd have a patch bay with a cable to move, but you could use
it as a multiway switch. ADC makes a lot of these, Ebay #311293334088 is an
example (they can be used for video too). Everything comes out to 75 ohm BNC
connectors on the back, the front uses a sleeve-type connector for the patch
cable that I can't remember the name for. All the telco coax cable is 734 or
735 type (734 is like RG59, 735 is like RG179 in terms of physical size) and is
75 ohm. If you want some 12-count 735A cable I have a big roll I can cut a
little from. We hardly ever use this stuff anymore at work -- everything is
higher capacity and fiber now.

 -Bill