Re: Topband: Additional Comments on Impact of Remote RX Systems

To: "'John Crovelli'" <w2gd@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Additional Comments on Impact of Remote RX Systems
From: "Bob Garrett" <rgarrett5@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 23:18:46 -0400
Hello John et al,

Nice summary.

As someone who is certainly new to contesting but not to chasing DX on 160
meters, here are my thoughts regarding remote receivers.

Yes, Topband is hard!  If it was easy, everyone would do it and those of us
who have achieved numbers over 300 countries worked would be plentiful.
I've always said, it takes hours of listening, constantly looking to
improving RX antennas and taking the time to do your best to figure out when
propagation will be best for your area and the DX.  If remote receivers are
permitted, like John stated, they should be severely restricted to close
proximity to the transmit antenna.  Perhaps another category should also be
considered but, I'll leave that up to the true contest guys.  I don't feel
qualified to comment on that issue.

In closing I repeat, Topband is hard!  That is part of the challenge and
attraction to the band that keeps us TB enthusiasts coming back year after
year trying to work "another one" loosing many hours of sleep and being
totally dedicated to this fascinating band.  I would truly hate to see a
change in the rules that would take away the TB challenges and attraction.

73, Bob K3UL