Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 19:14:07 -0500
The source of the r-f current flowing on buried radials is the r-f current
flowing in the earth as a result of radiation from the vertical monopole.
Current is not "lost" to the earth from the buried radials.  Instead,
current _ enters_ the radials from the earth around them, because the radial
wires provide a lower resistance path back to the 2nd terminal of the
antenna system than does the earth.>>>>>>

It seems to me that answer ignores other effects.

1.) If we remove the earth, the radials still have current.

2.) If we place a conductor almost anywhere near any antenna, connected or not, it has current. If the wire is long and at 45 degrees or less, it can have very high current.

3.) With the same applied power, a single radial in earth, despite being in the same dirt, has more current than the same radial with just one opposing radial. It's collecting from the "same dirt".

4.) Groundplanes still have current in radials

3.)