Re: Topband: The "Future" Of Ham Radio

To: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The "Future" Of Ham Radio
From: <k8bhz@hughes.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 10:16:15 -0500
Hi Eddy,

As usual, you've nailed it squarely! For many years I was an avid 2 meter DXer, really enjoying meteor scatter on ssb and moonbounce with cw. When digital methods came in to make those modes much easier, the challenge was gone & I left. I honestly felt that a qsl request for such contacts should have been rejected with the comment "Sorry OM, but you didn't work me, you worked my computer. I personally never heard you...". Notice also that you don't hear much about meteor scatter any more, and that many EME regulars have left the field. As BB King said: "The Thrill is Gone".

In order to leave all that, I took up TopBand DXing. It appears that history is now repeating itself. It seems that newcomers want the easy way out, and technology supplies it. Instant gratification, regardless how hollow, seems to be the new goal.

Brian  K8BHZ

-----Original Message----- From: Eddy Swynar