Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N

To: <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:48:50 -0500

Tom - Fair enough. I'll confess I don't know how this is controlled but
since your station, the W8JI station is one of the RHR Premium stations
that RHR subscribers can pay to use I will take it at face value that all
is well.

I am very curious though (seriously) if you, as the station owner, are
aware when someone is using your station via a remote connection and if
you, as the station owner, knows who that individual is??

I'm always aware who logs on, who logged on when I wasn't around, and what they are doing (sometimes after the fact). I kind of enjoy listening to them.

I have no means of knowing anything about anywhere else. It isn't my responsibility or my worry.

If I thought for a minute a DX station could log on from Europe and use his call without a high risk of getting caught, I wouldn't let RHR have access.

We all know Hams can be worse than a bunch of catty old women. Someplace in all of that, we have to have a reasonable tempering of our preconceived feelings with facts.

I don't like where this reflector has headed. I don't care what ZM appeared to have done, ripping someone apart here is just as tasteless as anything ZM might have done.

The same thing goes for all this complaining about remotes. Where were the complaints when the radius rule was dropped, or when W6YY was remote on a mountain in the 1960's? People have been using my stations to work new DX since the 1970's, just like they have been using other stations. No one even knows if the IT9 or JA station were remote. It might have been from someone's station with a hand-on-key.

If I was that sure someone did that, I'd contact the ARRL and the station about that. There are a dozen ways to do that without a remote. As a matter of fact, it is actually far LESS likely they could do that without being caught via a remote membership than doing it a number of other ways.

73 Tom