Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule
From: Andy Blank <andyn2nt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:14:58 -0500
Well I guess it's time for me to say something on this discussion, since I
am the culprit that actually wrote the rule.

There have been many good comments made, and I am especially sympathetic to
those such as Frank VO1HP with whom I have had some correspondence directly.

To be clear, the remote receiver rule is for the CQ160 Contest only. I make
no rule or opinion about normal DXing on topband or award chasing. The
intention of the rule is to create a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD for the contest.
It is not intended to limit technology by any stretch. The response by Tom
VE3CX was right on the money.
Using a receiver away from your transmitter creates an enormous advantage
in many ways.

This is a radio contest. Let's take an extreme example.
Remote rx is allowed anywhere with no restriction.You are a W6 and work a
station in EU.
Both you and the other station are using remote rx on the other continent.
You log each other, but there is no path open by radio.
Did you actually have a QSO? Not by 2 way radio you didn't.
It is no longer a 160M contest. It's something else.

Now back to VE3CX's point. Full Duplex. This is big. If you are able to
hear while transmitting, you will have a big advantage.
When I originally wrote the rule, there were only a few stations able to
achieve this by conventional methods. We wanted to reward "radio methods"
of engineering over internet methods. Also, it was considered how far your
receive antenna should be from your transmit antenna. We came up with 1500
meters. Nobody has complained.

As far as the discussion of Check Logs go, there seems to be some
misunderstanding.
Anyone can operate the CQ160 Contest, you are not required to send in a log.
If you want to be considered for an award, or be listed in the results you
must follow the rules of the contest.
It doesn't mean you cannot operate. Anyone can work you and get credit. We
do not remove contacts because someone has not submitted a log.
The point of operating illegally is not valid. If you are illegal, you
report to local authorities, not to the CQ160 Contest Committee. Using a
remote rx is not illegal in any event, and your operation is perfectly
valid. It just is not eligible to compete in the contest under the present
rules.

Having said all that, I have been considering relaxing the remote rx rule
in the future. However, it must have restrictions.
Originally grid squares were considered, but that is not practical. It must
be a defined radius.
Milt N5IA had a good idea with 100KM. I would like to hear from the
community what they think a fair distance would be.
It needs to be close enough to the transmit antenna as to not create a
situation where you are "out hearing" your transmit signal. The purpose
should be to eliminate local noise, not to place a receiver in another skip
zone.
Also, we must have a means to prevent the already prolific use of web based
SDR's.The honor system is important as most of our contesting is today. It
will be tested, as is power cheating which seems to be a big problem in
160M contesting, but that is a topic for another day.

The unfortunate result of this change will be the full duplex aspect. I am
not comfortable with that, but if the community feels it's OK so be it.
Please feel free to discuss the receiver question or send your comments
directly to me.

73, Andy N2NT
Director CQ160 Contest