Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

To: "Niko Cimbur" <ac6dd@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule
From: Glenn Wyant <va3dx@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:49:19 -0500
Assuming that someone could easily travel to a remote site ,
without actually discussing this matter with them , seems
wrong.

In  " NF " the WX can get very nasty in a big hurray.
60 mph winds and blowing snow is common.

Since many of us are over 65 or  approaching the big
senior status plateau , there are restrictions that would
prevent us from driving out to the RX site. If you cant
think of any, then you must be under 50....

At least Frank gets on and provides the Mult... having the RX
capabilities most likely prompts him to make more qsos  vs a bare
minimum effort.

I know that if I could hear better on TB,  I would certainly give
a larger effort ...

Perhaps the remote RX should be located within your GRID
or a maximum of 50 miles from your qth , whatever...
I am sure there will be many suggestions here.

Glenn VA3DX

Subject: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

VO1HP writes:

In my view I don't see anything wrong with using the SDR in the contest to
increase my participation and satisfaction and provide the NF mult. ...but the
rules are the rules ...so be it for now.

My remote station has been in operation for several years. It is about 10 miles from my house. It is setup for transmitting and receiving. What I found out from participating remotely in a Stew Perry or two is that it just wasn't the same experience for me, and I would still go to the site to operate CQ160. When the site receive capabilities were degraded, I found a new place 75 km away. I go there for the weekend and set it all up for the Contest. The Receive capabilities are better, but not the TX. Many times I wished that I could use my remote to call a multiplier and increase my score, but the rules are the rules.

It does not seem to me that it would be too difficult for you to drive to your RX site only 50km away, put up an Inverted L antenna and actually give out multipliers that count.

73,

Niko AC6DD