Re: Topband: 160m WAS (need WY and NV)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m WAS (need WY and NV)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 11:23:03 -0800
Hi Victor,

W7RN is a superstation in NV, and quite active in CW and RTTY contests. KL7RA is a big station, also active in CW and RTTY contests. One problem working stations at that latitude is the aurora, which can cause them radio blackouts.

160M from your QTH to the western half of the US is quite difficult. I have no QSOs from eastern Europe in my log, and I have not heard any EU stations for three years. I'm near San Francisco with a pretty good station. I've worked about 20 EU stations on 160M, but all during low parts of the solar cycle.

For 80M to the western US, try long path around our sunrise. And, of course, short path around your sunset.

73, Jim K9YC