Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 07:29:40 -0800
On 12/7/2014 6:44 AM, Mike Waters wrote:

This all seems to imply that it's all but impossible to work JAs in a
contest --at least from most areas of the country-- by just S&P'ing, no
matter how good an op you are and how well you can hear.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

JA3YBK and other beacon stations often call CQ around 1400-1600Z in
this contest and SP.  JA3YBK seems to like 1811.  However,
I didn't hear those or any other JA's CQ'ing today.  I
have also had JA3YBK call me as early as 0800Z.
There was a terrific opening to JA this morning.
Running low power, I worked about 15 of them.
Some were just booming in.  It would have been
interesting to see where JA3YBK would be on the S meter
this morning.  The 1810-1825 window didn't seem to be
as crowded as usual, so I think the stronger ones could
have called CQ.  I used my transmit vertical for
receiving today because the noise seemed to be low.

Rick N6RK