Re: Topband: 160 ground plane choke

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 ground plane choke
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 07:40:01 -0400
Bill,

Models and measurements show, with four full size radials and 1500 watts, you can have a few hundred volts RMS between the radial common point and earth. That voltage, of course, increases with non-resonant radials.

In an uncontrolled or undefined application, where a person has no idea what is really going on, the only choice is to either overkill with extremes or just throw something in there and see how it works. This is a very controlled impedance situation, which is great. We have some idea of what is on each side of the choke and of voltage driving the choke.

There are two ways to approach this, by grounding or with a choke.

The best way to handle it depends on your resources, what you prefer appearance wise, and the physical layout.

1.) If the antenna is out away from noise sources and things it might bother, and if the coax is in the air away from things, you can simply ground the feedline shield fairly well 1/8th to 1/4 wave from the radial common point. This will do exactly what any choke will do. The shield will look like a high impedance at the radials, and minimize current flow.

2.) You can ground the coax right below the antenna feedpoint, and insert some form of common mode choke between the shield's earthed ground and the antenna feedpoint. This choke can be an air core coil of coax at ground level, or a ferrite sleeve balun, or something wound on a core. You probably have a few hundred volts there driving the choke's impedance, so you have to consider that with cores.

This is not a critical system by any stretch of the imagination, and an air-core coil will work just fine (as would proper feedline suspension and grounding), but what you need really depends on what you want to do and what you have available.

It would become progressively more critical if you had fewer radials, no matter what magical type of counterpoise it might be. One radial would be much worse to decouple, and one short radial could be horrible to decouple. You have an easy system with four resonant radials.

If it were mine, I'd just break out the PVC 4" pipe and maybe 50-70 feet of RG8X for an air choke, and a few copper pipe ground rods. I'd do that because of lightning around here, and because it would as well or better than anything else I could do.

73 Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cqtestk4xs--- via Topband" <topband@contesting.com>