Re: Topband: Outdoor rope suggestions

To: 'TopBand' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Outdoor rope suggestions
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:28:10 -0700
On Tue,9/2/2014 1:03 PM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
I am not using multi-hundred pound counterweights, but only 15 or so pounds. I have been very satisfied with the big-wheel laundry line pulleys from home depot:

Carl and I are concerned with 100# and 200# tension because we are supporting more weight and between more distant rigging points. Remember that I said I was supporting 80/40 fan dipoles at 120 ft built with #9 hard drawn copper, feeding them with RG11, and have a choke at the feedpoint. That's a lot more weight than, for example, a 40M dipole at 40 ft fed with RG8X.

My determination of the required counterweight was almost by accident. I bought some 6.5 gallon water jugs, filled them with dry sand, and ended up with 90-100#. That turned out to be enough for my antennas. Others may need more or less.

73, Jim K9YC