Re: Topband: Shunt feeding tower

To: "'Pete Smith N4ZR'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding tower
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:18:42 -0400
Pete, et al.

It really helps if you know the self-resonant frequency of the tower.
ON4UN goes into a fair amount of detail in his Low-Band DXing book.  There
are examples and graphs that may or may not fit your exact configuration,
but you will get an idea of what affects tap point, bandwidth, gamma wire
diameter and spacing.  If I put it this information together, it seems to be
very close to what I already have installed.
In my case, the tower is 120 ft.  however a 24' triibander at 100' ft likely
dominates the top loading.  There is a 2 el 40 at 115' but since the
elements are insulated and only the boom is at tower potential, it likely
isn't in play much.
My gamma spacing is about 30 inches,  tapped at 70', and the gamma-wire
diameter is just a single #10 wire.   However, according to ON4UN, the wider
spacing of the gamma-wire decreases the height of the tap point somewhat.
My VSWR isn't flat, but about 1.25:1, which is close enough.  I strongly
expect that if I raised the tap point I could lower it.
I am using a single series "C" for the match.

Jim - KR9U