Re: Topband: Switching Pennants

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Switching Pennants
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 07:11:14 -0400
Hi Dwight,

I have 3 point fed pennants that share the same feedpoint and use only one
BN-73-202 Binocular Core Transformer matching transformer at the feedpoint
(one pennant pointing 40 degrees, one pointing 160 degrees, and one
pointing 300 degrees) and have been using this system for over 3 years now
with no problems.  I use two relays (located at the common center location
of the pennants to select the active pennant, and disconnect both sides of
the pennants that are not active from the matching transformer.

Switching 3 pennants is very easy as it only requires one isolated 12 volt
supply and a two conductor control cable from the shack out to the relay
box which is located at the feedpoint.  0 volts over the feedline selects
one pennant, +12 volts selects the second pennant, and -12 volts (just
reversing polarity of the power supply connected to the control line)
selects the 3rd pennant.

Here is a link to a simple website I have that documents my 3 pennant
system, and you can see a picture of the inside of my relay box on this
website.
http://sites.google.com/site/pennantflagantennas/

Simple and see no reason to do it any other way if using 3 pennants that
have a common center point location.

73,
Don