Topband: A CFL Bulb Issue

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A CFL Bulb Issue
From: Mack N4SS <n4ss@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:26:32 -0400
A bad S9 plus growling noise suddenly began about a week ago that covered
the entire 80 meter band making it totally unusable. Other bands including
160 meters were ok. Checking with neighbors for new devices didn't turn up
anything. The noise continued for another few days so decided to eliminate
the house. Got lucky with this one. Got up early, moved the antenna from
main radio to a FT-847, connected a battery, and verified that the noise was
still there. Started to go outside and pull the main disconnect when I heard
a loud POP. It was a CFL bulb that my wife had installed in one of the
kitchen lights about six months ago. Pulled the bulb out not thinking too
much of it but decided to go back up and check the receiver anyway. Yep, the
noise was completely gone and has not returned over the past week. Although
not a scientific conclusion, these CFL bulbs can generate some strong RF
noise just before going out. Data from the CFL bulb is GREAT VALUE, Model
EDXO-14, Item number GVS144DL. Hope this might help some in future noise
tracking.

73's Mack N4SS