Re: Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition

To: "'Richard Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 15:56:05 -0400
No, I don't believe 240' is too high - especially if the tower has a base
insulator!  It would be so close to 1/2 wave on 160, that it could be fed
very well as a 1/2 wave radiator on 160, either via a parallel tuned tank or
a 1/4 wave of perhaps 450 oh ladder line. A 1/2 wave radiator wis an
excellent transmit antenna, and, because of the high feed-point impedance
can be driven against a very modest ground arrangement

Like you, though, I believe they would do well to put up some terminated
loops, or perhaps a Beverage (or 3?) for receive antennas! A 240' vertical
would, I think,  be a VERY noisy receive antenna. If they put up a KAZ
terminated loop that only requires one overhead support, they could steer it
around with ropes and weights on the ground. The KAZ is like ON4UN's FO0AAA
160 receive loop.

73,
Charlie, K4OTV