Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition
From: DALE LONG <dale.long@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:17:50 -0800 (PST)
Gentlemen:

 I have been reluctant to ask for help which did not relate directly to our
reflector. But today I got up my courage, so here goes.  I have been invited to
lead a group of amateurs to help build an AM tower in Haiti.

Two things that may relate to some of our readers:

1. I will be returning to Haiti in November to build a 240foot AM broadcast
tower.  I know there are many AM broadcast engineers on this list and would
like to have your advice.  Specifically we are searching for a large conical
base insulator.  Sometimes when a tower rusts, they are disgarded or thrown on
a pile somewhere.  We would like to buy one, and possibly a tower as well.

2. In December of this year, I am organizing a small group to go to Haiti and
participate in the 160m contest. (this of course is dependent on the tower
being built.)

I am particularly pleased that amateurs have been invited to help. Sometimes
broadcast engineers do not have the highest opinions of amateur installations.
 So we do want to do it right.  We have a 9-acre parcel of land along the ocean
and part of the area is a salt-water marsh. I think there hasnt been any
serious 160m activity from Haiti for a number of years.  This location would
present a nice opportunity for a serious lowband operation.

If you have any information about base insulators/towers, or if you would like
to join a 160m dxpedition to Haiti, please respond off the reflector to
n3bna1@gmail.com

Thanks for your time.

Dale - N3BNA