Topband: Radial wire size ?

To: top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radial wire size ?
From: "Jim F." <j_fitton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:45:58 -0800 (PST)
I use 3 raised radials ~ 135 feet long of #22 ga. solid wire.
 used for dog perimeter control and is un-tinned copper

 covered with green plastic. The wire is about 11 feet
high to keep it out of the way in the common property
woods area of multi building condos and will be taken
down when the weather starts to warm.

The resistance of 135 feet of copper wire is:
#22 ga.   2.18  Ohms
#20 ga.  1.37   Ohms
#16 ga.   0.5    Ohms

Per the calculator at :
http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html

Measuring the current in each of the three 22 ga. radials
 with an old surplus RF ammeter while running 5 watts
on  1.824 Mhz   (in the middle of the afternoon :-)
 they measure in turn: 240, 120, and 170 ma.

Would going to 16 ga. increase the radiated antenna
current X times ?

BTW,
The wire held up very well in the many NH ice and snow
storms this year but the green plastic coating reflects
 morning light and at dusk like a neon sign.  Very scary
in this condo enviornment with restrictive covenants and
 regulations. Next year I will try dull brown #16 ga. like the
 inverted U, which is far less visible.

72,

Jim / W1FMR