Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle - new developments

To: Carl Braun <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>, Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'160'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle - new developments
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:32:33 -0800

On 2/22/2014 4:15 PM, Carl Braun wrote:

Inside the shack on the 1000D and the BIRD I see 1.1:1 Vswr at 1.800 MHz, FLAT
1.0:1 from 1.810 to 1.860 and 1.5:1 at 1.895 MHz.

I'm eager to get back on the air tonight and tomorrow morning to see how it
plays

I'm sure it will play well in terms of keeping your transmitter
happy but the relatively large bandwidth you are measuring
is indicative of substantial loss in the system somewhere.
This would be a large bandwidth even if you did not have
the bandwidth narrowing effects of a shunt feed.

Does your 1000D SWR meter agree with your Bird meter?
I am somewhat skeptical of the SWR meter on my 1000D.
I suspect it reads on the low side.  Either that or my
Alpha 9500 reads on the high side.

73

Carl AG6X

Rick N6RK