Re: Topband: Palomar R-X Noise Bridge

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'TopBand'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Palomar R-X Noise Bridge
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:27:53 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
To: "'TopBand'" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:08 PM

The lowest loss cable I have here is 75 Ohm 1" General Cable Fused Disc; its under a differnt name these days. Mostly air with poly discs and used for the 200' runs for 10M, 2M, and 222 MHz.

For the 160/80 inverted vee it is 450' of regular foamed 3/4" 75 Ohm CATV hardline with a RG-11 jumper and plenty of ferrite to the feed point. Ive been using ferrite sleeve baluns since the mid 70's; I was introduced to them by the company I worked for who was building equipment for the joint CIA/DOD Tempest program.

The lowest loss cables have large, smooth conductors that are the maximum possible size for the cable impedance. Dielectric is largely meaningless, except as it might affect conductor size.

** Which directly affects loss. While meaningless at 160 even in long runs the difference between the 1" Fused Disc and 1" solid foam Commscope is .5 vs .65dB/100' at 222 MHz which can add up to no contact in long lengths.

We can argue this point endlessly, but it will always come back to the conductors.

** As close to an air dielectric as possible will have the largest diameter center conductor and lowest loss. Adding any other dielectric requires a smaller conductor to maintain the same impedance and with its own extra loss caused by the dielectric choice so it will always be a contributing factor since its dielectric constant and capacitance per foot varies and is not a lossless medium. It is also frequency sensitive.
A nitrogen pressurized coax is about as good as it gets.

The exception would be some horrible dielectric or operation way
up above normal VHF/UHF with marginal dielectrics.

It is the way it is. The confusion probably occurs because dielectrics with more air allow a larger conductor to be used for a given cable diameter and impedance, it is not because the dielectric has less loss.

** Im not confused but for the sake of the forum it is not exactly related to 160 so lets leave it for elsewhere.

Carl
KM1H