Re: Topband: Question - optimum number of radials

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Question - optimum number of radials
From: Brad Rehm <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:11:26 -0600
Jerry Sevick, W2FMI, has an interesting comment about the "120" number in
his book, "The Short Vertical Antenna and Ground Radial."  At the end of
the first chapter he notes:

"...it should be mentioned that the world standard for the number of
radials to be used with verticals in the AM broadcast band is 120.  This
number was based on the classic paper published in 1937 by Brown, Lewis,
and Epstein.  During the course of a business meeting with Dr. Brown, I
asked him how he and his colleagues arrived at the 120 radial
figure--because I was quite sure 100 would work as well.  His answer was
interesting.

"He said that he and the others had been thinking in terms of 100 radials,
but the farmer who plowed in 100 radials had wire left over because copper
is soft and stretches easily.  When he asked what to do with the extra
wire, the farmer was told to plow it in.  The result was a world standard
of 120 radials."

Hmmmm!

Brad, KV5V