Re: Topband: Grounding the ends of radials

To: "'Bob Eldridge'" <r.c.eldridge@ieee.org>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Grounding the ends of radials
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:58:20 -0500
I generally agree with you, Bob - especially with regard to not grounding
the far ends of 1/4 wave radials!!  After all what we are trying to
establish is a low-impedance "image plane" for the vertical radiator to be
fed against! A 1/4 wave wire, grounded at the far end would have a high
impedance to ground at the base, or feed-point, of the antenna!  Makes no
sense! Would not result in a very favorable "driving-point impedance!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV