Re: Topband: Anyone purchased the ARRL book on Short Antennas for160???

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Anyone purchased the ARRL book on Short Antennas for160???
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 03:42:01 -0500
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Richard Fry <rfry@adams.net> wrote:

> Note that the NEC4.2 analysis I generated and linked at
> http://s20.postimg.org/6hfsl64ml/Elevated_vs_Buried_Radials.jpg closely
> replicates the measured results of a real-world monopole system elevated
> 4.9 meters above the earth.

That's interesting because the presentation shows the max of the four
elevated at *minus* 1.17, while the buried radials are minus 0.71.  That
means the 4 elevated are about a half dB inferior to dense buried.

Did you run that four elevated model setup with the buried radials in
place, but not connected to the feedpoint, just "floating", or was it just
four elevated over plain ground.

What were the ground constants in use when you ran the models?

When you say "closely replicates", are you comparing the models' groundwave
display to field strength measurements at ground?

73, Guy.